Pages

Last Day in Dubrovnik

This will be a short post since this is mostly about seeing and not doing much of the "doing"!

The last day in Dubrovnik came and went! I'm sad to say goodbye to Dubrovnik but it is definitely time for a new place to explore. This morning while eating breakfast, I was helping a new arrival get comfortable and answer some questions abut various things from the (hidden) trash can to where things are in Old Port. The day hostess asked if they "could keep me"! It is time!!!

So today, I thought it would rain all day so I grabbed my windbreaker and didn't bring my camera. Of course, it ended up being sunny all day and didn't start raining until late at night. I did the thing I didn't want to do and withdrew cash. I needed money for the cash-only museum ticket, food and extra cash for the taxi! 

Cash in hand, I headed to the national museum and purchased a 9-museum ticket for 120 kuna. I ended up visiting 6 of the 9 museums today. I think that's a pretty good outcome considering that two of them were closed and I couldn't find the obscure one (not even on google maps)!

Let's run it down!

Cultural History Museum / Rector's Palace (Kulturno-povijesni muzej / Krežev dvor)








I have a neat video of me entering this prison cell but unfortunately cannot upload a video. But this is the Dragon prison cell named after the dragon carved into the door. It is different from to other standard prison cells because it is much smaller and more confined and also only accessible through two doors. It is reserved for the more hardened criminals.

Onto the next.

Dubrovnik Natural History Museum (Prirodoslovni muzej Dubrovnik)
this museum started out ok but only got weirder from there, highly recommend, just for the sheer weirdness of it!








Hmmmm yeah. I'm pretty sure they were playing Queen in the background but I couldn't tell. This was hilarious though!!! Not at all what I expected from a museum of natural history.

Dulčić Masle Pulitik Gallery
local modern art gallery (showing paintings from 2017)





Maritime Museum (Pomorski muzej)








Ethnographic Museum (Ethnografski muzej)







And finally one more, which wasn't the best in my opinion. It was to commemorate a local playwright in a house so it was small, but the museum's curation didn't make sense to me so, sorry to say, I have only two photos! One of the wax sculptures and another of a sculpture in the dark basement that scared the hell out of me.




my phone captured much more light, but believe me, it was DARK and that scared me so much hahaha. 

I walked to both the archeological museum and the contemporary art museum but they were both unfortunately closed by the time I got to them. I couldn't find the third and last - "Atelijer Putilika". Maybe next time! 

I headed back to my hostel to pack and prep for my early flight on Saturday. I went back out for a quick and cheap dinner bite (aka a pizza slice) and bought my mom a small gift with the last of my spending kuna. It will be a surprise :) The remaining kuna will be for the taxi.

I brought down my luggage down three flights of stairs so I wouldn't wake anyone else by dragging it down at 7 in the morning! I asked the evening desk hostess if they had a large trash bag, and she did. I anticipate rain tomorrow morning and I will have to drag my luggage down the Spanish Steps and acrosss Old Port to get to a taxi. Though I've found a quicker way to the gate since I first came here, I didn't want to get my luggage soaked so hence the trash bag. I got my windbreaker and a poncho - I'm not gonna let the rain get me down!

Mykonos is up next!
I will land in Athens around noon, with a four hour layover, I will be in Mykonos by 5pm

Before I leave, I also left a mark on my hostel. Though being on the top floor sucks when this is practically the city of stairs,  one of the things made it worth it - my floor has a chalk wall people can write on. 


So I wrote my mark too. 


Thanks for the memories, Dubrovnik 👋 I am so ready for Mykonos!

No comments:

Post a Comment