Pages

A Study in Relaxation (Mykonos, Part 1)

Wow. That's what I can say about Mykonos.

When I left Dubrovnik on Saturday, it was pouring. I was lugging my suitcase through Old Town and reached the taxi stand (and luckily caught the only taxi standing there), shuttled to the airport, dried off, switched from sneakers to sandals, flew through Dubrovnik to Athens to Mykonos.

I walked off my plane at Mykonos, walked directly to the building where that baggage area was and got my bag.  I was a little concerned that the hotel driver wasn't going to wait but it was going to be all right. I got to the arrivals area and found a man holding a sign with my name on it. That was a thrill!!! 

He put my luggage on a fancy van, gave me water and told me to relax. I felt like a meerkat looking back and forth between windows, gawking at the beautiful white buildings and blue skies since I came from a dreary morning. The van drove up a hill and up another one through the sign pronouncing "Tharroe of Mykonos".

I arrived at my hotel, went through all the check in. They kept telling me to leave my luggage. Not even when they showed me to my room. They got it. I was so used to being in hostels that my brain didn't catch up with me; that it is most definitely not a hostel anymore. Hello, this is a 5-star LUXE hotel!!!! omg what am I doing here?! I was given a set of keys and had a room right up the first floor. 

My room, you guys.

There is a huge bed, a tall standing mirror, and a confusing shower (you know it's fancy when you need a minute to figure out the shower). A stocked fridge full of complimentary water and soda. And a killer seaview and view of the Mykonos town right from my porch. I will share pictures tomorrow.  But then I went back out of my room to get some information, apparently they were not done showing me around. 

The desk host took me through a set of doors, where there were some beautiful statues that looked like it belonged in a museum. 

disclaimer: i just took these tonight (9/11/17)!

Then he took me through another seat of doors to show a long dining table where breakfast would be served, some dining seats, more outdoor dining seats, then I saw the pool, and the shore, and the sea, and the sun. I heard the host leaving me and I stood blown away. A waiter came over and handed me a glass of prosecco on the house and I could only mumble thank you with only a glance. Though I gave him a more heartfelt thank you before heading back into my room, he had to excuse me for the moment!



Once I got over the shock, I headed back to my room and unpacked quickly. I wanted to head to the Mykonos a Town before it got dark so I could explore some. I asked the host at the front desk for directions, and got them. Its about a 15-minute walk to the main town. I quickly realized there are no sidewalks and dim streetlights so I did not want to be caught walking in the dark. 

From where I was based, I had to enter the town through Fabrika, I suppose a gate/bus stop where there are several buses to take you to the surrounding beaches. Exploring made me realize how hard it is to navigate the streets here. There are hardly any street signs and you know what you are looking for. Google maps came in handy here but I was determined to learn my way with the town map I got. 





I found my way to the shore and watched the boats for a bit. I headed back before the lights faded too much. I took a shower in the fancy shower and fell asleep in the biggest and fluffiest bed ever.

Sunday morning, I woke up early and headed to the dining area right when it starts at 8am. It was a heck of a spread - especially coming from simply cereal at a hostel.



After an amazing breakfast, I wanted to do something so I went to see the windmills and explore more of the town. So I did just that! 

I went through Fabrika but walked along the outside street until I reached the windmills. 





I headed down the stairs until I reached the port and explored more areas! I was getting familiar with the streets more and could recognize if I made a wrong turn. I also found the boat shuttle to Delos Island and decided that is what I'll do Monday morning. By early afternoon,  I felt I explored most of the town and headed back to my hotel. If Mykonos was meant to be my relaxing stop, then it meant I had to force myself to relax.

Back at the hotel in no time, I hopped onto one of the sunbeds.





Except to a different sunbed, that is! Sitting in the sun for hours was great. But it was hard not to move. I felt the need to do something - reading a book wasn't helping, not even watching some Star Trek Voyagers on Netflix. It was a struggle. Sometimes, moments like these make me think that I still have ADHD? 

Regardless, I've dubbed part two of my vacation a "study in relaxation". It's okay not to do anything. You can get up early to feel like you're not wasting a day but you don't need to do much of "doing" or force yourself to go do it. It is okay to relax - that is something to do, right? Sitting by a pool that is overlooking the Aegean Sea with white buildings dotting the shore - that's "doing". 

And so is actually watching a proper sunset either for the first time in a long time, or ever. From when the sun is in the sky to when it disappears into the horizon. 

So is watching a Mykononian sunset while drinking Mykonian red wine.



That's something to do.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are great. This is a great way to relax before off to Barcelona. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is right! What a beautiful trip you're having - I am living vicariously through your travels. Post lots pictures so I can pretend I'm there, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete