Pages

And again.

There's so much to recount in these last two days. I don't want it to end! Goodbyes are hard. As much as we try to convince ourselves that it isn't really a goodbye, but rather a 'see you later', it's still difficult.

Yesterday, Thursday, is the last full day we all could hang out. Brittany, Taylor and I hung around all day and rode a 4-wheeled 2-seater bike (really meant for 2, but we managed with all 3 of us!) around Piazza Venezia and the Colosseum.Even though we only had t for an hour, we had the time of our life on it! It was SO much fun! We kept going uphill by the Colosseum and then let go of the breaks to roll down yelling our butts off. Everyone around us was smiling and laughing at our childish enjoyment. It was the best. Whenever we struggled up the hill, people helped give us a push! Team effort.






Afterwards, we headed to the Fest di Lavoratori concert. We had a general idea where it was. We walked past the Circus Maximus and past the Baths of Caracalla. Brittany called her Italian cousin to ask where the square was and we got a better idea where it was. We walked down the Via Appia! And winged it and found ourselves exting the Aurelian walls (Rome's second set of walls) and past the Renaissance walls! We walked so far! We ended up walking 3 hours to get to the concert.


We didn't stay long because a lot of people were drunk and it was a trashy scene. But the music was really nice and I got myself grilled corn-on-the-cob (a specialty for these kind of events, I guess). We took the metro back to Circus Maximus and back to Trastevere. On the way back to Trastevere, we met someone from New York trying to get to Trastevere, and since we were heading there, he tagged along with us until we crossed the river. He was super nice. :)

We hung around our apartment until Dom and Christina were ready and we met at Ai Spaghettari for our last group dinner. For Brittany and I, it was the first restaurant where we ate dinner together. And it was the last restaurant where we ate dinner together.


I'm so fortunate to have met such great people during this trip. I couldn't have asked for a better bunch!

And then Friday came. Today was my last day in Rome. Taylor spent the day with me, and I couldn't ask a better way to spend the day. We went to the Vatican City, and I finally climbed the top of the Duomo and saw the Pieta sculpture.

x















We went back to Trastevere to meet up with Brittany for our last lunch together at Pizzarius (the best pizza to-go in Rome!) and to say goodbye to her.



It was really hard to say goodbye but we made promises to meet up in a few weeks when we're back in the states. Taylor and I headed back to the other side of the Tiber and went to Via del Corso to run last minute gift shopping and to sell back my textbooks. I bought almost 200 euros worth of textbooks, and I only got 8 euros back. Ridiculous! I couldn't bring it back to the states because they're all ridiculously heavy (thanks financial accounting and management!) but I'm bringing home my art history books. So we did that and headed to Piazza Venezia to go to the Capitoline Museum.
















If you look at all the 500 photos I took today alone, you'd be able to tell that I really like sculptures!

Afterwards we headed to the Pantheon and ate our last dinner in front of it. Here, I gave him a gift and a birthday card (in Italian of course!) with a written note, and then we toasted wine to each other - in honor of Taylor's 21st birthday tomorrow, in honor of our friendship, in honor of the amazing time we've had here... we both got sentimental through this. It was difficult. But we laughed it through talking about the stories we'll be bring back together when we return.



Of course, I couldn't go without going to Giolitti one last time, for a gelato. Straciatella con nutella always. Awkwardly, I spilled my gelato everywhere including my pants, but geeeeez, it was still so good that I didn't care! The spill only made it more memorable.


Before walking back, Taylor and I passed an open church and decided to check it out. The church was called Santa Maria in Campo Marzio. And suddenly - bones.



We both agreed it was more beautiful than the Vatican City. Yes, really! It was because it had more detail and engravings. And the music was playing in the background while we walked around and viewed the paintings, frescoes and sculptures. It was a wonderful way to end the night.

And so, my last night in Rome drew to a close. I saw all that I wanted to see for my last day. I ate all the things I wanted to eat before I left (a pizza, ravioli ricotta di spinaci, bruschetta al pomodoro, and a gelato from Giolitti). I said goodbye to all the people that made this study abroad meaningful to me. I am leaving Italy tomorrow with no regrets. No matter how sad I am, I am leaving knowing the experience I have had, the things I have learned, and the friends I have made, will be engraved in my heart and memories for as long as I carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment