Pages

A Roma: Football, Your Average Sunday, and Some Thoughts

This past Tuesday I joined API to a football game!

It was Rome versus Turin. It was such a cool experience. We took the bus to the stadium and met up with Naike (API RD) and eventually the rest of the group. Since tickets were named-labeled, we all didn't have seats together so we had to hope we could switch seats with other API people. I was with Brittany, Christina and Dominic. After fussing around figuring out the entrances and getting hot dogs and espresso, we finally entered the interior of the stadium. It was raining so it was such a relief that it was mostly indoors with only the field exposed to the rain. We found a row of seats open and a man noticed our distressed faces because we wanted to stick together, he sort of gestured that we should take the seats anyway - nobody cared about it. So we did and it was completely fine, nobody came to claim the seats. I loved the atmosphere because there was a lot of singing and every time there was a bad play, a lot of people would angrily gesture to the field yelling their discontentment! There was even fireworks exploding in the crowds that released colored powder after loud bangs. Forsa Roma!!!




Rocking my Star Trek Command hoodie.
Ironically enough, it's also the colors of Roma. Hey, it works!

We enjoyed the game and we left 5 minutes before it ended (then 1-1 tied) because we wanted to avoid the crowd. Turns out Rome scored last minute and won the game 2-1. Of course. But it was still super fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but turns out for all my love for Boston sports, I got really into (European) football! I think there's a difference watching it on TV and thinking it's just soccer, but being in a stadium with thousands of Italians with that kind of energy really captures you and before you know it, you're chanting FORSA ROMA along with them.

Today, Sunday March 30th, is one of the prettiest days ever. It's sunny out, kids are outside playing and performers are playing in the piazza along with musicians, and most significantly: it's the first time I don't have to wear a jacket. Brittany and I enjoyed pizza sitting at the fountain in Piazza di Santa Maria. It's these moments that I really like because I forget about my worries, everything about the past and the future, and just watch people go about... it is just nice to sit and completely relax.




So now there's only 5 weeks left. We're fast approaching projects and finals time and I have my finals times posted. I have my first final for management on Sunday, which is dumb but that's how Italian exams go, I guess. Speaking of Italian customs, I just found out that I have classes on Friday, April 4th because of no classes on Monday, April 21st (the day after Easter), so I will have my Monday class on a Friday, which isn't too bad because I only have one class in the morning.

Grades? Actually they were better than I thought! I got a B in both philosophy and management midterms. I got a B- overall grade thus far in financial accounting (how?! well actually i did really well on one of the mini-tests so that brought up my grade). I got a C+ on my art history midterm but it's only worth 20 points of the final grade - so I'll do my best on the research paper and final exam. I'm pretty sure I'm doing alright in drawing class; as usual it's hard to tell how assignments are graded but I'm doing all the assignments and homework, so I should be fine with a B at the very least!

There are so many other places I wanted to go to. France. Morocco. Austria. Malta. Turkey. Czech Republic. But there's not enough time left. I wanted to keep April 20th open because I wanted to experience Italy on Easter Sunday by going to the Vatican City. And the second to last weekend open for studying for finals. There's a weekend open from the 17th to 19th, but I don't have anyone to go with! I'd love to travel on my own, but 1) my family don't feel comfortable with that and 2) I'm not experienced enough yet anyway. But there's still one last API trip - to the Amalfi Coast and Capri. And I'm also going to an opera in Rome!

Brittany and Christina and I were planning for a day trip to Cinque Terre to visit Riomaggiore. Honestly, if I did Cinque Terre on my own, I would rather visit all five towns. But alas, I'm not on my own and there's not enough time anyway. So Riomaggiore it is and it'll be nice to visit anyway!

I'm gonna save France for a solo tour in the future, unless I find a travel partner to go with by then. I was recently thinking of going to all the cities like Paris, Cannes, Nice, Cote d'Azur... it'd be nice! I'd have to learn French for then. And Morocco could be part of another tour along with Turkey, Egypt and the UAE. And then of course my dream tour: Asia where I'd backpack through China and go to Thailand, Bali, South Korea and end in Japan. I'll always be dreaming of going back to Japan.

5 weeks... it's still kind of hitting me that there's only 35 days left 'til I come back. I want to stay for another month just to travel. Maybe I should've bought my return flight ticket home later, but then again I wanted to come home in time for the senior animation show at my school so that I could support my friends before they graduate, and also see my roommate, Emily and other friends!

And of course, I'm really looking forwards to see my family too. I'm looking forwards to a big dinner when I come home for yummy food with my parents and my sister and brother-in-law (I'd hope they'd be there when I come home!) and I'd share all my stories and I can't wait to give them all the gifts I got for them and see their reactions. I can't wait to hug all of them for a good five minutes when I first see them and go to sleep in my own bed in a place that has been my home for most of my life. I can't wait to visit and see my extended family, too. I really miss familiar faces and familiar surroundings, that's why I want to do all these things. So that's what I'm looking forwards to when I come home.

1 comment: